Our purpose for holding personal data and a general description of
the categories of people and organisations to which we may disclose it
are listed in the Data Protection register. We will not disclose
information to any third party unless we believe it is lawful to do so.
You may inspect this or obtain a copy from the Information Commissioner’s Office. In order to meet the requirements of the principles, we will:
- observe the conditions regarding the fair collection and use of personal data
- meet our obligations to specify the purposes for which personal data is used
- collect and process appropriate personal data only to the extent that it is needed to fulfil operational needs or to comply with any legal requirements
- ensure the quality of personal data used
- apply strict checks to determine the length of time personal data is held
- ensure that the rights of individuals about whom the personal data is held, can be fully exercised under the Act
- take appropriate security measures to safeguard personal data
- ensure that personal data is not transferred abroad without suitable safeguards.
When we collect any personal data from you, we will inform you why we are collecting your data and what we intend to use it for.
Where we collect any sensitive data, we will take appropriate steps to ensure that we have explicit consent to hold, use and retain the information. Sensitive data is personal data about an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs, trade union membership, physical or mental health, sexual life, details of the commission or alleged commission of any offence and any court proceedings relating to the commission of an offence.
UK companies within Standard Life group may share personal data (only within Standard Life group and excluding sensitive personal data) relating to their customers to enable them to integrate administrative tasks such as address changes. This helps to maintain consistent records for customers who have products with more than one company within Standard Life group.
We have a responsible marketing policy and do not give your details, or details of related individuals, to any other company outside Standard Life group. You may be contacted by other companies within Standard Life group with details of other products or services. If you do not wish to be marketed in this way you can write to the Data Protection Co-ordinator at Standard Life House, 30 Lothian Road, Edinburgh, EH1 2DH or at the contact address of the Standard Life group company concerned (quoting your full name, date of birth and policy or account number if known).
Under the Act, you may write to the Data Protection Co-ordinator as above and request a copy of the information which we hold about you. We reserve the right to charge the maximum fee payable in terms of the Act for providing this information. If the details are inaccurate you can ask us to amend them.